The Sales Director of Analytical Chemistry Services works closely with Senior/Executive Directors of Sales and/or Vice President of Sales and Client Services on client selection strategy, AE assignment, and account development plans.
- Manages, trains and provides leadership (coaching, mentoring, guiding, challenging, problem solving etc) to assigned AE's.
- Hires and develops diverse talent for open or new territories.
- Assigns accounts, territories and forecasts individual territory sales goals.
- Delivers order goals for the territory.
- Assists sales team in developing internal and external relationships and identifying new market opportunities.
- Conducts quarterly review of account plans.
- Works closely with sales leaders in other Covance business units to develop joint opportunities and relationships with clients.
- Facilitates negotiation of margin and pricing discussions both internally and externally.
- Manages team performance and feedback providing guidance on development opportunities and action plans.
- Monitors and controls team operating expenses.
- Leads scheduled networking events.
- Functions as an advisor to Account Executives, troubleshooting and resolving internal and external issues.
- Facilitates strong internal relationships and communication with operational colleagues.
- Identifies and executes process improvement opportunities.
- Utilizes SFDC to manage team pipeline, forecast and analyze key sales metrics.
- Develops AE coaching/actions plans as needed.
- Gathers and shares market intelligence and competitive information with sales team, peers and marketing.
- Assists with annual sales meeting planning.
- Provides sales reports/updates to Senior Management.
- Supports/assists in developing BU-based global MSAs and preferred provider agreements.
Education/Qualifications - Bachelors degree in life science or business field preferred; advanced degree preferred
Experience - 10+ years sales (or relevant) experience selling services directly to the pharmaceutical and biotech section with direct interaction with mid-level and executive level decision makers
Advanced industry knowledge
- 3 to 5 years leadership and sales management experience preferred
- Demonstrated client retention skills
- Ability to manage difficult client and/or financial situations
- Ability to differentiate Covance from competitors
- Experience developing and executing strategic business plans
- Ability to manage and motivate client facing teams
- Demonstrated leadership experience in leading and presenting to executives and senior levels of the client organization
- Extensive global collaboration experience
- Highly consultative
- Strong customer orientation
- Excellent negotiation skills and demonstrated ability to influence sales decisions
- Demonstrated ability to lead
- Experience managing people
EEO Employer Covance is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. (M/F/D/V). Your confidentiality and privacy are important to us.